[plug] Problem compiling linphone (command line only)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 11 18:35:36 WST 2003

In message <20031111102457.GB9159 at erdos.home>
on Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 06:24:57PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Moving it away will likely break the symlinks that update-rc.d created
> but I'm not sure whether this will actually cause any problems.

I think Cameron's right -- it probably won't cause any problems. But, in
general, also look in /etc/defaults. If there are files in there, you
can usually use them to enable/disable the use of their cognate deamons
(or configure the daemons, of course). E.g. if there is an xfree86 file
in there, you could probably disable the xfree86 xserver via that file
(not that you really need to, since you don't have the X server
installed). I would generally have a look in /etc/init.d/<script> and if
it had a line like this:

    . /etc/default/<script>

then I would guess you could put

    exit 0

into /etc/default/<blah>. I'm not sure if this is what you're supposed
to have to do, but it would probably work. Alternatively, there might be
a "proper" way of nullifying the init.d file. (Debian experts?) As an
alternative, you could probably also use the 'S' to 'K' renaming trick
that I mentioned in October.