[plug] hard drive changes

smclevie smclevie at ozemail.com.au
Thu Nov 13 09:03:16 WST 2003

Hi all,

I recently had a number of hardware problems including a dicky psu and
perhaps this affected some hard drives.

I have a new P4 2.4G machine with a 40G primary master and it had another 2
drives for general storage known previously as hdb1 and hdc1.  After the
hardware problems have been fixed I replaced the two secondary drives with
a 120G beastie.  So the system now has only two hard drives and one DVD-ROM.

When booting, there is a message to say that hdc1 not found etc.  How do I
clean up this mess so that only the two drives are detected?  I have also
lost the cdrom and the 'df' command only shows the various partitions on
hda and hdb.

Is there a way for Debian to incorporate changes without my interaction?

Regards,

Steve