[plug] Debian and Src

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 14 08:17:31 WST 2003

In message <5.1.0.14.2.20031113203907.00aacb20 at mail.optusnet.com.au>
on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:46:12PM +0800, Weirdo wrote:
> I downloaded the Samba 3.x source and compiled and installed it on my
> Debian system.

Do you mean that you used `apt-get --build source`, or do you mean you
manually downloaded the 'tarball' and did everything manually?

> Now when I try to install something that depends on samba it
> wants to install the older version from cd.

If you installed a version 3 Debian package for Samba, perhaps the other
packages are insisting on version 2 (i.e. they virtually claim
incompatibility with version 3). I'm not sure of the proper way of
getting around this, but you can probably kludge it by modifying the
debian/changelog file so that it imitates the required version 2.