[plug] Debian and Src

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Nov 14 08:57:26 WST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:46:12PM +0800, Weirdo wrote:
> I downloaded the Samba 3.x source and compiled and installed it on my
> Debian system. Now when I try to install something that depends on samba it
> wants to install the older version from cd. I installed samba from src so I
> had more control over things and because I wanted to. How do I make apt
> realise that I have 3 installed?

% apt-cache show equivs
[...]
 This is a dummy package which can be used to create Debian
 packages, which only contain dependency information.
 .
 This way, you can make the Debian package management
 system believe that equivalents to packages on which other
 packages do depend on are actually installed.
[...]
 Please note that this is a crude hack and if thoughtlessly used
 might possibly do damage to your packaging system. And please
 note as well that using it is not the recommended way of dealing
 with broken dependencies. Better file a bug report instead.

HTH,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham