[plug] [article] Open Code Market (OCM)

Mike Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Fri Nov 14 15:05:31 WST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, James Devenish wrote:

> > Except that it doesn't limit the rights of authors of GPL'ed works,
>
> Yes it does: it limits copyright rights, like all the free software
> licenses. But what I really meant was that it limits what you are
> allowed to do with your own work when that work is a derivative of
> GPL-licensed software or a combined work (or is there some other reason

How can you say the GPL limits it? Without the GPL, you would have no
rights at all to publish derivitave work, under copyright laws.
No public license can take away rights. It selectively restores rights
that were removed by law.

> that the LGPL exists?). This is something that you would particularly

The LGPL gives even more rights.

> No you're not: the GPL restricts the licensing of your code (if you wish
> to distribute your derivative or library-dependent works, that is).

But without the GPL you coulnt do anything derivative. Whats the
alternative? Buy a commercial license?  Ask for free rights, but be
allowed to make money from their work?

I'm not quite sure what your point is James. The GPL is not exclusive.
You can always seek additional rights from the copyright ownewrs, just as
you could for commercial software.