[plug] [article] Open Code Market (OCM)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 14 17:11:46 WST 2003

In message <Pine.LNX.4.33L2.0311141454160.5971-100000 at donau>
on Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:05:31PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, James Devenish wrote:
> > Yes it does: it limits copyright rights, like all the free software
> > licenses. But what I really meant was that it limits what you are
> > allowed to do with your own work when that work is a derivative of
> > GPL-licensed software or a combined work (or is there some other reason
>
> How can you say the GPL limits it? Without the GPL, you would have no
> rights at all to publish derivitave work, under copyright laws.

If there were no licence, true. But assuming you were able to get a copy
of the code in the first place, without asking the owner of copyright,
then there is *some* licence involved. In this scenario -- where *some*
licence is involved -- the *choice* of the GPL imposes limits how the
authors of combined works can choose to distribute those combined works
(aside from the limits on distribution of the original work).