Backups (was: Re: [plug] Urgent Help Required - Payment Expected)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Nov 17 21:44:59 WST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 05:19:05PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:

| This one has caught me a number of times.. You think I'd learn..
|
| bklaptop:~>rm -r temp/ *
| instead of
| bklaptop:~>rm -r temp/*
|
| That hurts, but it's a good way of cleaning out your homedir..

Ouch.  Never actually killed an entire home directory like that - the
worst I've managed was ~1500 digital camera photos; fortunately the ones
which hadn't been backed up were still on the camera! :-)

| For interests sake, this is how I run incremental backups on my laptop
| I have an authorized_keys login from machine to machine..

Oooh, I like.  I've wondered a couple of times whether (and how) tar
could be used for incremental backups.  Now I know :-)

BTW there's a truly nifty backup scheme using I've seen on the web and
bookmarked for something to look into implementing one rainy day:

	http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

|         ~/pascal \
*snicker*  ;-)

| I do tend to post lots of stuff that nobody has asked for, bits of
| script and that kind of guff, but I learn a lot from seeing other
| peoples scripts, perhaps someone may learn from seeing mine..

Yep, agreed!  So, for the curious, here's the gist of my rsync backup script:

rsync --delete -Rave ssh misc Mail projects euclid: --exclude=projects/ARCHIVE
rsync --delete -Rave ssh euclid: /archive/backup/euclid_home_dir --exclude=misc --exclude=[...snip...]
rsync --delete -Ra . /archive/backup/erdos_home_dir --exclude=mnt --exclude=tmp

(And for the record, I really do have a directory called misc... and
under it, subdirectories which include random_stuff and old_junk...  My
organisational skills haven't really progressed beyond the computer
equivalent of "chuck everything in a box and hope you never need to look
at it again" *grin*  Not to mention several gigabytes in ~/tmp which one
day I'll work up the courage to sort through!)

| ( I still have not learned perl )

Me too!  And proud of it ...  Maybe one day I'll find something that
Python can't do better :-P

Cameron.