[plug] WinModem Problem Again

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Tue Nov 18 08:25:34 WST 2003

Hi,

 I am not too familiar with Mandrakes control panel, but I would first check
the logs to see if it finds the modem OK.  If this is the case, I would then
go about accessing the modem manually - through something like minicom or
some other terminal program, to see if you can actually talk to the modem
with AT commands.  Usually serial modems can be found on /dev/ttyS0,
/dev/ttyS1 ( for com1 and com2) .  I have used a winmodem with a lucent
chipset ( I think ), and this was accessed via /dev/ttySL0.  Hopefully the
logs will help you determine where the modem can be located.  If you can
determine the modem is actually working, then you can move on to try and get
the internet working.

 cheers,

 Paul