[plug] TV Tuner Card: Leadtek?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Nov 18 17:41:24 WST 2003

I'm looking for a TV Tuner Card, which obviously is supported by Linux. While
I'd love something with decent quality reception so I can build a DVR to
replace the function of my current VCR, funds are tight, and this'll be
partly experimental.

I started looking at DMA (not renowned for a wide range) to see what they
have, and they have a range of TV Tuners, and one that seemed good from the
brief blurb was:
    Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP DELUXEPCI TV/FM-Tuner Card or Video Capture with
Remote & Software , Retail Box
... RRP $94.80. Under $100 is good! ^_^

Not expecting much as far as Linux support goes, I visited the Leadtek site,
and it raved about all these features, specifically designed for XP. Hmmm.

Then while Google Trawling, I hit:
The interesting part states that this cheapo card full of features uses the
BT878 chipset, which has good Linux support.

My question(s) to PLUGgers is, has anyone actually tried out this card, in an
Australian environment?
Is it sufficiently supported, under Linux, to receive our PAL TV stuff?
Is it a Stereo TV receiver?
Does the FM Radio tuner also work?
Is any usable hardware compression supported, or will a grunty CPU be required
to save a TV feed?

I'd also be interested in opinions on other TV Tuners (especially in the sub-
$150 range,  and available locally, or easily online...)

Thanks...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |