[plug] TV Tuner Card: Leadtek?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Nov 18 17:59:27 WST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:41:24PM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:

| Is any usable hardware compression supported, or will a grunty CPU be required
| to save a TV feed?

If it's anything like the BT878 that I have, a grunty CPU would be
required for compression.  My old 800 MHz Duron couldn't even manage
MJPEG compression of full-sized PAL frames; I recently upgraded to an
Athlon 2600 but haven't really played with video capture much.  It
should be able to compress in real time though (-:  (But I'm not really
prepared to start fiddling with it now to find out, half-way through my
exams...)

Oh yes - I recall it worked better after cranking up the buffering in
the bttv module, too.

| I'd also be interested in opinions on other TV Tuners (especially in the sub-
| $150 range,  and available locally, or easily online...)

I have a "TView 99" which came from PLE (local for NoR people :-)) for
around that price a couple of years ago.  I'd imagine that most
BT878-chipsetted cards are roughly equivalent to each other?

Cameron.