[plug] TV Tuner Card: Leadtek?

Mike Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Tue Nov 18 18:59:11 WST 2003

Trevor,
search the PLUG archives - I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here
before.
  Most boards I've seen are BT878-based and will probably work fine, once
you've found the correct module parameters.
  The FlyVideo 3000 does stereo, but its  a newer chip, and may not be
supported so well. (see plug archive)

  For a PVR, why muck about with analogue? Cheap digital tuners can be had
now. At least, from $200, its a lot less than the HD-TV to go with it.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:41:24PM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>
> | Is any usable hardware compression supported, or will a grunty CPU be required
> | to save a TV feed?
>
> If it's anything like the BT878 that I have, a grunty CPU would be
> required for compression.  My old 800 MHz Duron couldn't even manage
> MJPEG compression of full-sized PAL frames; I recently upgraded to an

I've used mplayer with a Duron1200, which just managed realtime mpeg4
compression. But its not fast enough for high-definition TV playback.