[plug] TV Tuner Card: DVB-T? ^_^

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 16:54:56 WST 2003

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 18:59, Mike Holland wrote:

>   For a PVR, why muck about with analogue? Cheap digital tuners can be had
> now. At least, from $200, its a lot less than the HD-TV to go with it.

Well, at the end of the day, I'm now more liking this suggestion. From what
I've read, it seems analog tuners are either lacking good sound support, or
lacking good linux support. In any case, they're closed-source drivers which
ingenious people have created alternate linux drivers for.

Digital, on the other hand, seems to consist of more open-standards, and most
places I've looked seem to say Linux just works (with the DVB driver(s)).
Being digital, there IS also the advantage of being able to save a mpeg2
stream directly - no need for on-board compression, or thrashing the CPU to
do a one-pass squish.

Info on specific DVB-T cards still seems a little vague, but it's been enough
to make me consider waiting (yet again) before plunging into the PCI TV Tuner
market. Maybe if I start saving my pennies, and survive Christmas, I'll be
able to get one early next year. ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |