[plug] Debian - clueless :o}

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 20 19:05:03 WST 2003

In message <200311201851.19196.derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk>
on Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 06:51:19PM +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> What am I looking for in traceroute to tell me that it's on WAIX?

In general, perhaps: low roundtime, an address you recognise, or the
absence of addresses that are not part of WAIX.

> # traceroute ftp.wa.au.debian.org
[...]
>  4  203.59.49.170  148.392 ms   150.066 ms   151.701 ms
>  5  it.ix.waia.asn.au (198.32.212.25)  153.107 ms   154.769 ms   156.420 ms

If you can trust this part of the output (which you probably can in this
case), then it appears you've got 'straight' from iiNet to IT without
any intervening hops. If you had seen Optus or Telstra links in between
the iiNet and IT networks, I think the traceroute would have left WAIX.
Someone with WAIX knowledge will be able to tell you whether seeing
ix.waia.asn.au addresses is a giveaway or whether the appearance of such
addresses is irrelevant for this determination. Also, note that many WA
government websites are on Servicenet (which was at one stage hailed for
its WAIX connectivity).

You can also look at WAIA's list of WAIX participants.

Of course, all these things are 'best guesses'.