[plug] Ext3, and fsck auto-checks

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Nov 21 13:25:17 WST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:18:27PM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> I would leave it alone.  I was going to turn it off on my laptop, when
> it picked up errors and dropped to a console during a check.  The
> original idea was to turn the journaling off when I need maximum battery
> life so I could sleep the disk, but havent gotten around to setting it
> up yet.

If you're into compiling kernels, you can apply the "laptop-mode"
patch, which simply postpones writing data to disk for as long as
possible (some user-defined time, or when a read needs to be
performed).

http://lwn.net/Articles/32520/

Works quite well here, and seems to give me an extra 20 or 30
minutes of laptop life (depending on usage).

And there's also software suspend :)
http://swsusp.sf.net/

Regards,

Bernard.