[plug] Funny problem I heard about on another site

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Nov 21 11:57:46 WST 2003

Hi People,

Anyone heard about this before?

<quote>

Dear Dr. Pournelle,

There is a problem with Netscape and Mozilla web browsers on my Linux
computer lately. I bookmark a site for future reference, then either
receive a rush of obnoxious spam, or find my requests hijacked to another
site.

This is not a worm or a virus. It is an attempt to take over my computer. I
must first decide for myself that a site found on the Internet may be of
interest, then bookmark it. My firewall will stop outside requests for
data, letting cookies function if permitted, but will allow all internally
generated requests to be sent.

The proof was simple. When the bookmarks were deleted the problems went
away. I have never used bookmarks on my Windows XP computer, and have no
data to support a comment on Internet Explorer. The several bookmarks kept
in the Linux Galeon web browser have not been a problem, but that sample
may be too small to be meaningful.

</quote>