[plug] ATI Radeon & Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Nov 21 14:52:42 WST 2003

> Is there enough Linux support for these latter items with all ATI Radion
> 9600's? Are there differences in TV Out on these cards? I'd really appreciate
> some feedback from someone with experience and/or knowledge on this...

I haven't used the ATi cards personally, but from what I've seen the
linux support is pretty mediocre - at least for 3D work. NVidia's
drivers are absolutely brilliant, however, and I actually think the
Linux drivers are in many ways superior to the Windows ones. I'd find it
hard not to reccomend an NVidia card until ATi gets it's act together on
the driver front.

Unfortunately, the ATi cards do have significantly superior image
quality and often a little more bang for the buck. I've found my Ti4800
  a very good buy, though. The TV-out works well, though I haven't used
the TV in at all (I use a dedicated TV card with tuner etc for that).

I can't speak for HL2 support, though.

Craig Ringer