[plug] Volume accounting

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Nov 23 08:50:21 WST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 05:19, John Clayton wrote:
> Hi all I was wondering if anyone knew of any internet usage
> accounting software that I can use to track my download limit.

Feed the counters from iptables into any one of countless stats
programs, like this one:

    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

If you're on a PPP link, you can simply write out the figures pppd the
ip-down.local script (or add a script to ip-down.d/ on Debian). Pppd
passes them to you as envars. If you stay on for long periods
(days/weeks), you might like to do regular (hourly?) snapshots if the
numbers from "ifconfig ppp0" in case of power failures.

At ArachNet, I can use "lynx -dump" to pull the current figures from
their website. You can use rrdtool or similar to graph those too and
see how well you're doing.

Cheers; Leon