[plug] DVD Burning...

Scott Middleton scott at LinuxIT.com.au
Mon Nov 24 08:35:15 WST 2003

I missed the original post
I have successfully been using my DVD burner for a couple of months now.
I can fit half a tv series season in XVID format on one DVD so it is
quite handy.

My Cheapy Samsung DVDROM reads burnt DVDs better than it reads a burnt
CDs(i usually need a large cache if watching movies).

DVD- is Disc-at-once so you can't use multiple sessions but you don't
have to format it either. If i am wrong please tell me. Information on
different formats is difficult to find.

DVD+ is capable of multi-sessions but still only DVD+ compatible will be
able to read beyond the first session(and even then not real well
according to the page below)

I haven't started using DVD+ yet only because the media is more
expensive and DVD- is workling well for me.

Some info is here (found on the growisofs manpage)
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
Gen 1 DVDROM can't read some media and needs a flash upgrade. etc

On a side note i bought a real cheap no-brand DVD player($100) from
Xtreme a couple of months ago. I was pleased to find out it can read
Mpeg1/2/3 straight from a directory. I don't have to burn into
DVD/(S)VCD format to watch movies only convert them to MPEG.

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 21:46, J Michael Gilks wrote:
> > Gah! I'm having real problems burning DVDs. Basically, I burn a DVD, it
> > burns fine (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 drive), it verifies fine, everything
> > is happy. I then stick the burnt DVD-R in a DVD-ROM drive, and I get
> > data/IO errors.
> No ideas about the software, but reading burnt DVDs seems to be a problem
> sometimes.
> All the competing formats are making it difficult to get a drive which will
> read all formats presented to it.
> I think this has changed recently for new drives, but most people have older
> drives.
> This basically means you must target the burn at the drive which will be
> reading it.
> We recently had a problem where we were burning DVDs and sending them off no
> problem. Ran out of discs, but had some DVD +RW left over. Burnt files onto
> these discs and sent them off, immediate response was discs are unreadable.
> They still worked fine on the drive that produced them and a couple of other
> fairly new drives around the place.
> Check the discs work in the original machine, if there is no problem there you
> may have to adjust the format to suit the machine which will be reading them.
>
> Love
> Mike.
Linux Information Technology
Society of Linux Professionals WA