[plug] DVD Burning...

J Michael Gilks mike at gilks1.com
Sun Nov 23 21:46:28 WST 2003

> Gah! I'm having real problems burning DVDs. Basically, I burn a DVD, it
> burns fine (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 drive), it verifies fine, everything
> is happy. I then stick the burnt DVD-R in a DVD-ROM drive, and I get
> data/IO errors.
No ideas about the software, but reading burnt DVDs seems to be a problem
sometimes.
All the competing formats are making it difficult to get a drive which will
read all formats presented to it.
I think this has changed recently for new drives, but most people have older
drives.
This basically means you must target the burn at the drive which will be
reading it.
We recently had a problem where we were burning DVDs and sending them off no
problem. Ran out of discs, but had some DVD +RW left over. Burnt files onto
these discs and sent them off, immediate response was discs are unreadable.
They still worked fine on the drive that produced them and a couple of other
fairly new drives around the place.
Check the discs work in the original machine, if there is no problem there you
may have to adjust the format to suit the machine which will be reading them.

Love
Mike.