[plug] Problems Mandrake 9.0 and Yahoo

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Mon Nov 24 10:41:38 WST 2003

>Boy getting frustrated trying to install yahoo or just about most programs
these days in Linux.

>Being a recent convert to Linux from that "other" operating system i have
been persevering with the change and learning.

>The thing I find frustrating is when installing the rpm it tells me
certain dependencies are need..which is fair enough.

>So I go looking for the dependencies and download and start to install
them only to find that they also require a dependencies...grrr.

>One in particular is the glic_2.3 which I thought I downloaded and
installed only to find that also req a dependencies program..

>can any one assist with what I may be doing wrong
>thanks

If you have the rpm downloaded, try the following - I used it to upgrade
WIne a couple of days ago. cd to the directory where the rpm is, and su to
root. Enter the following

"urpmi whatever_the_name_may_be.rpm"

as far as I know it will then try to install the dependancies as well. I
have done this before with urpmi, but just with a package name eg "urpmi
wine", and it installed dependencies then.

HTH
RichardM

"Scanned with Nortons Antivirus 2003"