[plug] More on running VMware with Debian Sid

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Nov 24 11:57:59 WST 2003

Pluggers,

Just adding a little more to the ongoing discussion about running VMware
on Debian Sid (i.e. running it as a host, have plans to run it as a
guest OS but time has not yet enabled me to). Can anyone point me in the
right direction to resolving this error that comes up concerning the usb
driver the kernel uses. It seems all I have to do is load the 'usb-uhci'
driver instead of the 'uhci' driver (assuming driver here is used
synonymously with module ???). I have checked /etc/modules.conf but
can't see where it is being loaded. My understanding of usb on linux is
very much on the non-existent side so any pointers to where to start
would be appreciated. Having just brought a Motorola A835 mobile phone I
am keen to try out the software that came with it. (Unfortunately M$
only and using a USB cable connection hence the reason for my question).

The kernel is a stock Debian 2.4.22-1-k7 one and the VMware version is
3.2.1 build-2242. Below is the error message that appears.

VMware Workstation has detected the alternate UHCI host controller
driver ("uhci") for USB.
Using USB devices within a virtual machine is unsupported with this
driver loaded.
Please use the "usb-uhci" UHCI driver instead.

Michael Hunt