[plug] Red Hat package management

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 17:11:35 WST 2003

On Monday 24 November 2003 15:59, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > I get the impression I'm missing something. I asked on the surprisingly
> > unhelpful #RedHat channel on freenode and was basically told that people
> > install apt-get for rpm. Is that really the only solution?
>
> Yes, sadly. Fedora's up2date supports apt and yum repositories however,
> so that /has/ been fixed. At long last.

Thanks for the info. Now I understand why people moan so much about RPM and
why they like apt-get so much. Without the layer of intelligence supplied by
SUSE and, it appears, Mandrake, it's hopelessly difficult and inconvenient to
use. I'd completely taken the dependency sorting features of YaST for granted
over the last few years. I'm amazed that RedHat has done as well as it has
given this embarassing hole in its feature set.

> > What do RHL users
> > on this list do to get packages quickly and easily installed?
>
> apt-get seems to be the way to go.

I'll see what's involved in getting it to work. I wanted to learn the benefits
of apt via debian, but debian proved to be a lot of hard work to install, let
alone learn from.

--
> eatapple
core dump