[plug] Red Hat package management

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Nov 24 17:33:57 WST 2003

>>>I get the impression I'm missing something. I asked on the surprisingly
>>>unhelpful #RedHat channel on freenode and was basically told that people
>>>install apt-get for rpm. Is that really the only solution?
>>
>>Yes, sadly. Fedora's up2date supports apt and yum repositories however,
>>so that /has/ been fixed. At long last.
>
> Thanks for the info. Now I understand why people moan so much about RPM and
> why they like apt-get so much.

There's a common misunderstanding there. RPM has nothing to do with APT
really - it's /dpkg/ it should be being compared to. The issue has been
the total lack of any equivalent of apt on many RPM-based distros,
causing people to think that RPM is the problem. It isn't - just try
using a Debian system without apt.

Now that urpmi, up2date, etc are providing apt like services, as well as
APT having been ported to work with RPM, things are much better.

> Without the layer of intelligence supplied by
> SUSE and, it appears, Mandrake, it's hopelessly difficult and inconvenient to
> use.

Yup.

Craig Ringer