[plug] Task scheduling was Volume accounting

John Clayton mageaere at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 07:27:27 WST 2003

Well had a look at iptables and I think they are perfect. Thanks for telling
me that they had this feature. I downloaded the iptables Tutorial by Oskar
Andreasson and have been having fun learning about them.

Now to reset the counters on my ISP anniversary.

I have looked at the various scheduling tools cron anacron and at that are
available bu I have not figured out how to use then to do what I want.

What I want is to reset the counters in iptables after 12:01 am on the 15th
of each each month at the soonest possibility.

If the computer is off from 14th-16th I want the counters reset first thing
when the computer is next turned on.

at has the required fine control of when a job will take place but if the
computer is not on at the time then the job does not get done and the job
only happens once.

cron has the regularity but also does not do the job if the computer is off
at the time the job needs to take place and I have not seen how it would
have the required degree of control to make sure the job happened as soon as
possible after 12:01 am.

anacron can handle the computer being off at the time the job needs to
happen but I also do not know how to configure it to have the fineness of
control to execute at the required time.

I would rather use these tools if they can be configured to do what I want
than write a script to do it as I do not want to reinvent the wheel and I am
sure that such configuration options could be useful in the future.

What I would like is something that might be called anaat. Something that
makes sure at jobs are done as soon as the computer is turned back on if the
job was scheduled while the computer was turned off.

Any help greatly appreciated