[plug] Task scheduling was Volume accounting

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 08:36:58 WST 2003

In message <BAY10-F54Z5twqTEU6T000112c8 at hotmail.com>
on Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 07:27:27AM +0800, John Clayton wrote:
> What I want is to reset the counters in iptables after 12:01 am on the 15th
> of each each month at the soonest possibility.
>
> If the computer is off from 14th-16th I want the counters reset first thing
> when the computer is next turned on.

There might be a package that is specifically designed to handle this,
but I would initially just fall back to "tried and true" cron.

E.g.:

01 00 15 * * touch -d 'next month' /var/tmp/reset-next; /path/to/reset-script
@reboot touch /var/tmp/now; [ /var/tmp/reset-next -ot /var/tmp/now ] && /path/to/reset-script