[plug] backup script

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 25 13:06:52 WST 2003

Jon Miller wrote:
> unfortunately, the email system at that time was undergoing some changes and a lot of my mail has been deleted.

The archives are online. Alternately, I'm happy to provide you with the
appropriate time periods in MBOX format.

BTW, would it be useful to anybody to have anonymous IMAP access to the
PLUG archives? I /may/ be able to offer that using the Cyrus server here
at the POST.

> What I require this time is a simple daily backup of either the entire server on a AIT drive that is on the same system each night.
 >  If I'm corect (pls correct me if I'm wrong) in order to use dd the
partition would need to be dismounted.

Correct. You can use LVM snapshots to get around this, though - the
snapshot will may need a journal replay when restored, but will be
consistent and safe to use.

> We just want to get a copy of the data and certain partitions on the backup tape.

find /var /usr | cpio -i | ssh $BACKUPSERVER 'dd of=/dev/st0'

?

Note that you should probably snapshot the volume and mount the snapshot
on a temporary mountpoint. This avoids all sorts of nasty issues - the
alternative is stopping any services that might write to the partition
while it's being backed up, or living with the risk of an inconsistent
backup.

> I'm currently looking at ArcServe for Linux, but there is still more testing to be done before I implement this solution.  In the meantime I'm just looking for a script that can copy the data and certain files each night and eject the tape so it can be changed on a daily basis.
> Is there a searchable archive that I access to view the previous question.?

Certainly. http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/ . Unfortunately the search
appears unable to cope with the size of the archive, but I'm happy to
provide MBOX copies.

Craig Ringer