[plug] backup script

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Nov 25 13:22:04 WST 2003

unfortunately, the email system at that time was undergoing some changes and a lot of my mail has been deleted.
What I require this time is a simple daily backup of either the entire server on a AIT drive that is on the same system each night.  If I'm corect (pls correct me if I'm wrong) in order to use dd the partition would need to be dismounted. We just want to get a copy of the data and certain partitions on the backup tape.
I'm currently looking at ArcServe for Linux, but there is still more testing to be done before I implement this solution.  In the meantime I'm just looking for a script that can copy the data and certain files each night and eject the tape so it can be changed on a daily basis.
Is there a searchable archive that I access to view the previous question.?

Thanks

Jon
In message <sfc26940.069 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
on Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 08:25:29PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get or look at backup scripts to backup
> an entire server daily to a tape (AIT).

There was a lot of discussion of some backup solutions on this list
earlier this year (e.g. in March, April, June, July and September).
Perhaps you could be more precise in what you are looking for. E.g. what
do you mean by "backup an entire server". Hey, you could just use dd to
copy blocks to tape! Is the tape drive plugged into the server or is it
across a network? Would you prefer incremental backups? If this is a
repeat of the "mirror image of the system...across LAN to a central
backup server 3 x DDS4 DAT units" inquiry you made in July, could you
please tell us what you did with the suggestions that were made in July?

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby