[plug] backup script

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 17:16:20 WST 2003

In message <200311251703.18210.T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au>
on Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 05:03:18PM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> I mean, one sync flushes filesystem buffers,

man 2 sync

As a follow-up to that...note that multiple sync's in a row is
necessarily the perfect answer, but it is probably not such a bad idea.
I'm not sure why three times is conventional. If you have a machine has
a lot of cached writes, issues sync and listen to the hard drive, then
issues sync again and listen to the hard drive, then issue sync and
listen to the hard drive again. You might notice that there's still a
significant amount of write activity after the second sync but nothing
much noticeable to your ears after the third time (it's happened to me,
I know). "Rule of thumb," as they say.