[plug] backup script

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Nov 26 12:01:22 WST 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 17:16, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <200311251703.18210.T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au>
>
> on Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 05:03:18PM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > I mean, one sync flushes filesystem buffers,
>
> man 2 sync

"No manual entry for sync in section 2"
^_^

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 17:11, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> AIUI the theory goes that if you sync a few times, by the time the third
> one has returned the buffers will actually have been written to disc.
> Something like that, anyway.

Wouldn't "sync; sleep 2; sync" be better?

It just seems strange, since you'd think the point of a singular sync is to
completely sync everything. And if processes are still writing, then they'll
still be writing after 10 syncs. Nothing in the man or info pages says
anything about doing it multiple times.

This sounds like a tradition from the days of very old/slow drives (or old
kernel quirks), that no-one can remember a good reason to keep doing it (or
to stop doing it).

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |