[plug] kernel compiling

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Tue Nov 25 22:04:09 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 21:33, smclevie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am Debianing and am trying for my first kernel compile.
>
> Have installed Woody.
> Have apt-get upgraded to unstable Sid.
> (All packages have been apt-getted)
> Have installed tk8.2, make, gcc, bin86, libc6-dev, kernel-package,
> libcurses5-dev ...
> Have also installed a variety of other packages including 'debhelper'
>
> Am at /usr/src/linux ( symlinked to ln -s /linux2.4.22 linux )
>
> Have gone through 'make menuconfig'
>
> I assume I save to .config
>
> Also saved to 'gidget2.4.22'
>
> Did a 'make-kpkg clean'
>
> Am stuck at the rest...
>
> What is the EXACT syntax for make-kpkg from here??
>
> I tried 'make-kpkg --revision=2:gidget2.4.22 kernel_image'

make-kpkg --revision=gidget.1.0 kernel-image
the 2.4.22 already forms part of the package name, ie
kernel-image-2.4.22_gidget.1.0_i386.deb
using gidget.1.0 lets you make further revisions of the same kernel
verion, ie gidget.1.1

after that do make-kpkg modules_image is you're compiling anything in
/usr/src/modules

both these need to be done as root

the files should be /usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.22_gidget.1.0_i386.deb