[plug] Linux webcam / camera

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 26 09:58:32 WST 2003

At 09:42 26/11/2003 +0800, Ben wrote:
>I've dug through the archives on previous topics related to cameras and
>Linux and haven't found anything specific.
>
>I'm interested in finding a web cam style camera that can take frames at
>set intervals (half a second intervals would be good) to connect up to a
>Linux box.
>
>Just some sort of a "dumb camera" that plugs into USB or serial or
>something and interfaces with Linux to save images, not one of those
>cameras that takes photos and uploads them via FTP or something similar,
>those type of things are more than I'd want to pay.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions for a camera that will work with Linux to do
>something along these lines?

Hello, Ben.

You should be able to find stuff there from Scott Middleton, Trevor Philips
and myself - at least - regards this.   Probably one, two months ago.   I
raised it in the context of a burglar system and Scott, Trevor and others
had helpful comments and demonstrations including some captured example
video and even live webcam stuff.   Very impressive.

Scott (?) suggested a cheapy webcam being sold by the Extreme Computing
people - $49 buys a USB webcam with video out IIRC, but software only
supplied for Windows.   If that is the one Scott used, then he got it
working with Linux so that would be a good place to start.   When funds
permit (yes, I know, only $50 but there are two youngsters mouths to feed,
...) I intend to get one and try it out.

Hope this helps,
Denis