[plug] Linux webcam / camera

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Nov 26 10:32:09 WST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 09:42:22AM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:

| Just some sort of a "dumb camera" that plugs into USB or serial or
| something and interfaces with Linux to save images, not one of those
| cameras that takes photos and uploads them via FTP or something similar,
| those type of things are more than I'd want to pay.
|
| Anyone have any suggestions for a camera that will work with Linux to do
| something along these lines?

I have an Aiptek Pen Cam which works fine under Linux.  I'm not sure if
they're still around or how much they cost these days, but mine was
<$100 three and a half years ago.  It works using video4linux, so tools
like xawtv and other image grabbing or video recording software will
Just Work with it.  The resolution is lousy, though: 352x288.

Cameron.