[plug] kernel deb

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Wed Nov 26 23:04:23 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 14:15, smclevie wrote:
> Hi again and thanks for the help (Bernard and Adrian)
>
> YES!  I managed to do the make-kpkg thing ...
>
> It has created a .deb file in /usr/src
>
> I ran dpkg -i kernel-image..etc..etc..
>
> It asks to install a boot block using existing lilo.conf ... I said
> 'yes'
>
> It then finished.
>
> Nothing's changed!  [Nothin' crashed either !!!]

Have a look in /boot - there should be something like vmlinuz-2.4.22.
Under / there should be a sym link from vmlinuz to boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22.
Lilo references that symlink, so all you need to to is redirect the link
to your new kernel and re-run lilo.

rm /vmlinuz ; ln -s /boot/vmlinux-2.4.22 /vmlinuz ; lilo

Did you compile the file system (most importantly what ever is on the
root file system) as a module or into the kernel? If its a modules you
need to add the name of the module to /etc/mkinitd/modules and run:-

mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.4.22 /lib/modules/2.4.22

This will make an init ram disk with the file system module. In lilo add
the line:-

initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.22

under the image=/vmlinuz line

Then run lilo and all should good! :)