zsh and screen (was: Re: [plug] console scroll)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Nov 27 13:50:33 WST 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:23:43PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| Especially it surprises me that you have problems, because Debian has
| an /etc/zshrc that I would expect to take care of most terminals'
| bindings.

Interesting.

$ ls -l /etc/zshrc
ls: /etc/zshrc: No such file or directory

Well I didn't delete it :-)  There's an /etc/zsh/zshrc with a bunch of
keybinding-looking commands that look like they bind home/end to Do The
Right Thing, but they either aren't being read or don't do what they
look like they do.

| > C-a/C-e didn't behave as expected either.
|
| <blank-stare duration='3s'/> I think you must still be in 'vi' mode.
| C-a/C-e are part of 'emacs' mode (for obvious reasons). The default
| is emacsish, I thought.

Odd.  Starting a blank zsh --login I'm presented with an "erdos% "
prompt (not even the current working directory! how primitive! :-P), and
the keys behave vi-ishly.  So somewhere the defaults have been screwed
up.  The files in /etc/zsh/* don't seem to mention any kind of default
vi or emacs mode either.

I just dpkg --purge'd zsh and reinstalled it, with no apparent change.

Cameron.