zsh and screen (was: Re: [plug] console scroll)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 27 13:23:43 WST 2003

In message <20031127050345.GD14435 at erdos.home>
on Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:03:45PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Hmm, okay.  Is it archived on the Web somewhere?  If so, I may dig
> through the archives some time to see what deranged schemes other people
> are using.

Off the top of my head, my guesses are "yes" and "not many".

> I've noticed that a few Plug/UCC types (hi Bernard :-P) use and
> advocate zsh.  I've only tried it for a short while, and was rather
> upset that the Home/End keys did quirky things (playing around with it
> just now, hitting "home" plunged it into vi keybindings mode, and while
> I use vi for all my editing,

Why you're using those keys, I don't know :-P But aside from that, I
think the reason is that zsh is non designed with Linux in mind, so it
doesn't guess your keybindings on its own so well as bash might (e.g.
what works on Linux doesn't necessarily work on HP-UX doesn't
necessarily work on a vt320 doesn't necessarily, etc...).
Termcap/terminfo haven't been reliable enough in some developers'
opinions, so zsh stays 'safe' and doesn't do anything special in that
regard. The vt100 arrow keys should work for you, though. Also, there is
not necessarily any consensus that the 'home' key is even expected to
take you to the beginning of the line (though it does in some editors,
or course). Having said all that, when I press 'home' I get the
behaviour that you expect. So, "works for me..." Especially it surprises
me that you have problems, because Debian has an /etc/zshrc that I would
expect to take care of most terminals' bindings.

> C-a/C-e didn't behave as expected either.

<blank-stare duration='3s'/> I think you must still be in 'vi' mode.
C-a/C-e are part of 'emacs' mode (for obvious reasons). The default
is emacsish, I thought.