[plug] Boot oops

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Thu Nov 27 22:06:21 WST 2003

Copied from lilo man page:-

Error code 40 is generated by the BIOS, or by LILO during  the
conversion  of a linear (24-bit) disk address to a geometric (C:H:S)
address. On older systems which do not support lba32 (32-bit)
addressing,  this error  may  also  be  generated.  Errors 99 and 9A
usually mean the map file (-m or map=) is not readable, likely because
LILO was  not  re-run after some system change, or there is a geometry
mis-match between what LILO used (lilo -v3 to display) and what is
actually being used by  the BIOS (one of the lilo diagnostic disks,
available in the source distribution, may be needed to diagnose this
problem).

I'd re-run lilo. You can use the debian boot cd to recover your system -
boot from CD and type rescbf24 root=/dev/hda<partion numer>
This will boot the system normally with a 2.4.18 kernel. Then run lilo
and reboot.

If that still doesn't fix the problem try dpkg --purge
kernel-image-2.4.22 and then reinstall the .deb. You'll probably need to
use the boot CD again for this.

Adrian