[plug] Boot oops

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 27 22:24:32 WST 2003

Hi,

In message <6.0.0.22.0.20031127204804.01b2fb78 at pop.ozemail.com.au>
on Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 08:52:45PM +0800, smclevie wrote:
> In an attempt to utilise some features needed for masquerading in 2.4.22 I
> tried to update the kernel.
>
> I compiled like normal and then dpkg -ed.
>
> Now I get the following at boot,
>
> L 9A 9A 9A 9A 9A  ... and so on.

Just curious...I've only installed Linux on one Intel-based system (I
will assume you're using such a thing). Although it took me a day or two
to work out how to use IDE hard drives on the Intel platform, kernel
compilation seemed to go okay. I haven't got audio input to work, but
other things work despite the awkward motherboard. I'm pretty sure I
just followed the Debian instructions for building a custom kernel in
the presence of the Debian kernel-image package. I ended up with a
'LinuxOLD' option that gives access to "/vmlinuz.old". I think this must
have been handled by the kernel-image package (i.e. it saved an old copy
on my behalf). Since you appear to be using the same process, and you
said 'yes' to its question about LILO, I wonder how it is that things
aren't working for you? I'm pretty sure I don't know enough about Linux
(the kernel) to have done anything to help myself. I'm sure I just
followed the non-initrd instructions in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.18/debian.README.gz
("brave and impatient" part -- though of course I'm merely brave ;-)