[plug] confessions of a dselect lover

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at globaldial.com
Wed Oct 1 15:52:47 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 15:32, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Quick question.
> Everywhere I read that dselect is a pain.
> I have always found dselect easy and powerful to use. Am I an alien?

I use aptitude only because it keeps track of installed dependencies and
removes them when they are no longer required, where as dselect doesn't.
However aptitude does have some 'bugs' such as "aptitude update" often
breaks, so I use "apt-get update" and the aptitude interface is often
quite bad in that it brings in dependencies which have nothing to do
with anything you have installed and also removes programs that "are no
longer needed" which are definitely needed...which is why I always use
apt-get and aptitude via the command line.

Adam.