[plug] Rotating logs on a Workstation...

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Oct 1 22:03:40 WST 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:55:04PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

| On all the time shouldn't matter. Debian uses anacron for
| /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}, so things just get delayed
| until you next boot - unless you've disabled anacron for some reason.

If you don't have anacron installed - which is quite possible, or even
likely, depending on how you installed the machine - then the logs will
be rotated by a normal cron job at some ungodly hour in the morning[1].  So
perhaps an "apt-get install anacron" will help.

CP.

[1] Appears to be set to 6:25am on my desktop - although that has
anacron installed so it doesn't really do anything at that time.