[plug] Rotating logs on a Workstation...

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Oct 2 08:27:15 WST 2003

Cameron Patrick wrote:

> If you don't have anacron installed - which is quite possible, or even
> likely, depending on how you installed the machine - then the logs will
> be rotated by a normal cron job at some ungodly hour in the morning[1].  So
> perhaps an "apt-get install anacron" will help.

Firstly, I didn't have anacron installed. ^_^;;
I do now. (Gotta love apt-get).

Secondly, what actually rotates syslog, messages, and friends? Is it
logrotate? Because I can't see anything specifically in logrotate's
config file about them (or generally /var/log).

Aha!! Looks like /etc/cron.(daily|weekly)/sysklogd may be the culprits,
not logrotate... And further digging shows that the weekly set does NOT
include messages, and a few other files (but does on another of my
machines).

Hmmm, reinstall of sysklogd didn't help.

Any idea how it determines what's weekly, and what's daily, and why this
workstation doesn't have messages and a few others in either?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |