[plug] Rotating logs on a Workstation...

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Oct 2 12:40:51 WST 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:27:15AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:

| Any idea how it determines what's weekly, and what's daily, and why this
| workstation doesn't have messages and a few others in either?

Have a look at /usr/sbin/syslogd-listfiles - it's a perl script that's
called from /etc/cron.{daily,weekly}/syslogd.  I'm no perl expert, but
it looks as though "*.*" lines (i.e. /var/log/syslog) in
/etc/syslog.conf are rotated daily and all other files mentioned are
rotated weekly.

It's quite possible that the script is somehow mis-parsing your
/etc/syslog.conf and missing some lines; perhaps see how it differs
from a "known-good" machine?

Cameron.