[plug] ext3 accident

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Oct 3 08:45:33 WST 2003

Howdy,

My gateway/dodgy webserver/everything box had an ext3 accident sometime
this week.  It remounted ro as per its defaults.  I went to add
something to the website and noticed it was read-only.

It would not remount rw complaining of magic io problems, journal
corruption etc.  Rebooted, root file system not found.  Put it in
another machine - would not mount saying no known filesystem could be
found.

I wanted a couple of files off - or the machine running again with a new
install fast.  So, happy to live with the messy consequences, I ran
e2fsck and answered yes to everything  :)   It took close to an hour.
Now the disk has a lot in lost+found as you'd expect in the form:

#1023910
 |-- etc
 |    |-- apache
 |    |    |-- httpd.conf

for example.

.. and nothing else on the disk - EVERYTHING is in lost+found

YAY! So I now got all the data that I wanted back and am on my way to
rebuilding it.

Any ideas what happened?  Is there some way I could have recovered
things in a more acceptable fashion?

Is this a lesson not to use ext3? and to do something else that you
might suggest?

Ryan