[plug] ext3 accident

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Oct 4 11:23:46 WST 2003

>>Personally, I
>>like the ~10x speed improvement I got from Cyrus when moving from ext3
>>to reiser.
>>
> You've just added another item to my already long to do list. ;-)
>
> Item 147. Convert /var/spool/cyrus partition on server from ext3 to
> reiserfs for performance gains. (Holiday Job).

It's funny - because I'm using a large RAID array and LVM, it turned out
to be trivial to do on the POST's mailserver. Just

init 1
lvcreate -n var_new OS
mkreiserfs /dev/OS/var_new
mount /dev/OS/var_new /mnt/tmp
cp -aRv /var/* /mnt/tmp
umount /mnt/tmp
umount /var
lvrename OS var var_old
lvrename OS var_new var
mount /var
init 3

Didn't take very long, still had the old partition if anything went
wrong... just /easy/.

Anybody not using LVM on their servers is missing out, and badly. OTOH,
you do want to have a fair bit of spare space to make really excellent
use of it. Still, it's just so nice to be able to say "hmm... /home is
getting a little cramped, I'll add another 20 gigs of space to the volume."

If you have to back up and restore, I can see it being annoying - still,
it's quite worth it IMHO. The performance improvement, at least on my
system, was pretty huge.

Craig Ringer