[plug] ext3 accident

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Sat Oct 4 13:09:13 WST 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 11:23, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >>Personally, I
> >>like the ~10x speed improvement I got from Cyrus when moving from ext3
> >>to reiser.
> >>
> > You've just added another item to my already long to do list. ;-)
> >
> > Item 147. Convert /var/spool/cyrus partition on server from ext3 to
> > reiserfs for performance gains. (Holiday Job).
>
> It's funny - because I'm using a large RAID array and LVM, it turned out
> to be trivial to do on the POST's mailserver. Just
>
> init 1
> lvcreate -n var_new OS
> mkreiserfs /dev/OS/var_new
> mount /dev/OS/var_new /mnt/tmp
> cp -aRv /var/* /mnt/tmp
> umount /mnt/tmp
> umount /var
> lvrename OS var var_old
> lvrename OS var_new var
> mount /var
> init 3
>
> Didn't take very long, still had the old partition if anything went
> wrong... just /easy/.
>
> Anybody not using LVM on their servers is missing out, and badly. OTOH,
> you do want to have a fair bit of spare space to make really excellent
> use of it. Still, it's just so nice to be able to say "hmm... /home is
> getting a little cramped, I'll add another 20 gigs of space to the volume."
>
> If you have to back up and restore, I can see it being annoying - still,
> it's quite worth it IMHO. The performance improvement, at least on my
> system, was pretty huge.
>
> Craig Ringer

<Item Change 20031004 12:35:36 - Insert of Job>

Item 147. Set up LVM on Server. (Holiday Job).

Item 148. Convert /var/spool/cyrus partition on server from ext3 to
reiserfs for performance gains. (Holiday Job).

Thanks Craig. ;-)

Seriously this is only my home server so it is not critical (only 3
users) and it is more of a "how can I do it better" kind of scenario
than a "pressing need" situation. That said my wife's Outlook baulks
sometimes with Cyrus (not sure if it is Cyrus or Outlook, probably the
latter) and my PLUG archive is quite big and takes sometime to search.

Thanks for the info though. Should come in useful when I have the time
to do it.

Michael hunt