[plug] Strange named problem

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 6 14:54:01 WST 2003

Hi all,

I have a RH 9 box set up as a primary name server and a RH 8 box set up
as a slave name server for our domain zone.  The name servers are only
for internal use.  When I update the master domain zone file and
increase the serial number it fails to propogate through to the slave
server.  The strange thing is though, when I delete the existing zone
file from the slave server and restart named on the slave, it downloads
the new zone file.

In the /etc/named.conf on the master in the zone declaration I have set
notify yes; In the /var/named/zone_file on the master I have listed the
slave server with an NS record.

Any ideas where I should be looking?  The problem is not so urgent
because the records rarely change, but It would be nice to get it
working properly.

Thanks,
Tim Bowden