[plug] Strange named problem

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 6 15:01:48 WST 2003

In message <3F811189.5090606 at iinet.net.au>
on Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 02:54:01PM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> I have a RH 9 box set up as a primary name server and a RH 8 box set up
> as a slave name server for our domain zone.

What name server(s) do they use? (Sounds like you're using some version
of BIND. 4, 8 or 9?) Any messages in the log file (is logging enabled)?

> In the /etc/named.conf on the master in the zone declaration I have set
> notify yes; In the /var/named/zone_file on the master I have listed the
> slave server with an NS record.

By the sound of it, you also have the master listed in a 'master {}'
block on the slave? Are you able to check that the master send a NOTIFY
message and that the slave receives it (may need to turn on logging,
though you could also sniff traffic)? It is the slave that initiates the
transfer of updated zone information -- the master simply sends a NOTIFY
to the slave to wake it up.