[plug] Big Gun needed for X battle

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Oct 7 16:32:33 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 16:23, Tim Bowden wrote:
> Being a laptop with an inbuilt screen and a video out for a monitor, I
> suspect this accounts for the two entries in lspci for video adaptors.
> Anyone able to confirm/ deny this?

The two radeon 'heads' on my Laptop have the same PCI ID, that's not to
say yours should, what you said sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility
M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

With regards to your issues you may want to scan through the archives
here http://insue.com/pipermail/linux-sony/   A lot of Sony laptops (but
not mine) have i810 video and in general it seems fiddly - most getting
acceleration going though, not basic X.  If you want my evolution
archives of the list for the last 12 months, let me know :)

As mentioned before, you'll probably have to have the relevant DRM
module compiled in the kernel, i810 is in all recent 2.4 releases, and
then blow it away with an x86 binary update from dri.sourceforge.net,
specifically the releases here: http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/

Ryan