[plug] Big Gun needed for X battle

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 7 16:23:27 WST 2003

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:09:58PM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
> | I am using XFree86 version 4.2.1.1
>
> Have you tried XFree 4.3.0?  That's what the latest Knoppix uses.  It's
> available in Debian experimental as well as woody backports. Also, some
> quirky display adapters need to have support compiled into the kernel to
> run properly - perhaps yours is one of those?

I figured it might be something like that- The i810 handles both
graphics and sound and the kernel spits out a few error messages about
i810 modules of some sort at boot time.  As far as I can see, XFree
4.2.1 should do it fine but I will problably upgrade anyway.

> | I tried adding the 0's into the debian file but to no avail.  'man
> | XF86Config-4' gave no more than a cursory description of the "Server
> | Layout" section so I have no idea what the 0's do.
>
> They only make a difference if you have multiple screens, in which case
> they let you specify the coordinates of one screen in relation to the
> others.
>
> | two BusID's XFree86 complained about; i.e.
> | BusId		"PCI:0:2:0" and
> | BusId		"PCI:0:2:1" respectively, however this has not helped.
>
> My graphics card shows up as two entries also (in my case, PCI:2:0:0 and
> PCI:2:0:1) but only the 2:0:0 actually does anything useful in the
> XF86Config file.

Being a laptop with an inbuilt screen and a video out for a monitor, I
suspect this accounts for the two entries in lspci for video adaptors.
Anyone able to confirm/ deny this?

> HTH,
>
> Cameron.

Thanks,