[plug] AMI MegaRAID/HP NetRAID 1M/2M monitoring tools

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Oct 7 23:32:47 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 23:06, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:59:47PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> > > script as you saw. What modules are loaded? The major number is
> > > assigned dynamically by the kernel when the megaraid.o driver is
> > > loaded (hence why the script has to try and find it out)... are you
> >
> > megaraid is compiled in the kernel, if I modularise it will that code
> > snippet be able to find it out?  or will I still need to do some other
> > trick to discover it?
>
> Hmm, compiling it in shouldn't make a difference. Can you send the
> output of dmesg|grep -i megaraid ?
>
> Scanning through the driver source, it should also create a
> /proc/megaraid entry if it loaded successfully. It might be the case
> that the megaraid driver isn't actually detecting the card...

I sure hope someone gets some of these machines one day and finds all
our spam enlightening Bernard :)

The jibberish characters in the detected version of the card is not good
yeah?  They don't quite reproduce via the cut and paste, but I laughed
when I saw them on the weekend.

This is a default woody 2.2.20 kernel that i chucked on in a rush
install on the weekend, though it is an old machine, I guess I should
really get with the times and hit 2.4.x

dmesg
=====
megaraid: v1.11 (Aug 23, 2000)
megaraid: found 0x101e:0x9010:idx 0:bus 0:slot 8:func 0
scsi1 : Found a MegaRAID controller at 0x1090, IRQ: 15
megaraid: [A :A ] detected 1 logical drives
aec671x_detect:
3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.02.00.008.
3w-xxxx: tw_findcards(): No cards found.
scsi0 : sym53c8xx-1.7.1-20000726
scsi1 : AMI MegaRAID A  254 commands 16 targs 1 chans 8 luns
scsi : 2 hosts.
scsi1: scanning channel 1 for devices.
scsi1: scanning virtual channel for logical drives.
  Vendor: MegaRAID  Model: LD0 RAID1  8677R  Rev:   A
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 1, id 0, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17770496 [8677 MB]
[8.7 GB]

cat /proc/megaraid/0/*
======================
Controller Type: 418/428/434
Base = 00001090, Irq = 15, Logical Drives = 1, Channels = 1
Version =A :A , DRAM = 4Mb
Controller Queue Depth = 254, Driver Queue Depth = 126
Contents of Mail Box Structure
  Fw Command   = 0x02
  Cmd Sequence = 0x3d
  No of Sectors= 0008
  LBA          = 0x8c0077
  DTA          = 0x0dc69000
  Logical Drive= 0x00
  No of SG Elmt= 0x00
  Busy         = 0
  Status       = 0x00
Statistical Information for this controller
Interrupts Collected = 183924
Logical Drive 0:
        Reads Issued =      84498, Writes Issued =      99401
        Sectors Read =    8746782, Sectors Written =    3099192

TBD
========================

I see it has a Mail Box in it too, excellent ... maybe I can use the
megaraid card instead of SuSE Openexchange Server :P

Also, something else about these cards, though you'd be stupid to use an
LPr as a gateway or home machine because they have lots of high volume
fans and sound like a jet engine, if you did and the RAID mirroring
fails, you'll be woken by a monotone and inappropriately loud beeping
during the entire auto-rebuild process.  I had lots of evil stares at
work today from that :)  The crafty engineers put the transducer on the
under-side of the card.

That kind of reduces the need to monitor it, you could hear it from the
next suburb before you got the email.

Ryan