[plug] mice MX700 :)

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Oct 9 00:01:40 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 23:41, Nick Bannon wrote:
> I'd quite like to try one of these:
> http://www.insight.com/uk/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=BOC31P7405
>
> IBM scrollpoint mouse, with a trackpoint/accupoint/mouse clit rather
> than a 1D scrollwheel.

<Slightly OT>

You may or may not be interested that I met the inventor of that mouse
in the IBM research labs at Almaden. His thinking behind it - we spoke
at great length about user-interfaces - was that the scroll-wheel, while
popular (and used daily by me), puts an extra burden on the hand,
furthermore, it's working in the same interface plane as the mouse
itself.

This device detects force, so the harder you tweak it, the more it
responds.

While I don't know if IBM ever produced it, I also saw and played with a
mouse that you could feel bumps with as the pointer rolled over the
screen. This meant that you could feel your way around the GUI
interface, reducing the load on your eyes...

Anyway, I'm back to holding an ice-block on my palm, because it hurt
enough to wake me up. When I get to Darwin, I'll go and see a Physio,
which is what Adam should do also...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..